Monday, January 16, 2006

Temporary replacement toy: Nokia 6680


So...while I'm debating whether to go for the N70 or not, I have been given a Nokia 6680 by my friendly local phone-pusher. Not too impressed by the general workings of the phone - sure, it synced with my mac via iSync (and killed at least 5 contacts while doing so - TG for backups) and sure, it works great with my SallingClicker (definitely nice with the album art right there on the screen, but again: not a big thing), but the phone feels...overly complex after my recent years with SonyEricsson bliss?

Take the text-messages for example: OK, so I'm not a 14-year-old bimbo, sending smileys for every 3 words, but admittedly, a smiley will go a long way towards conveying the mood with which you're sending an sms...and never in my life has it taken such effort to create a : a - and a ) !!! Not to mention :-* (for the wife...), which demands that you use special keys to insert a "symbol" (the *). Sighs. But you can't win, can you? I want the best of all worlds! My ideal phone should have:

- WiFi, with Skype capabilities (ie. Windows Mobile 2003 / 5 + touchscreen)
- at least 2 Mpixel camera
- GPRS/EDGE, would like 3G
- Bluetooth (IrDA not required, but not frowned upon either)
- iSync / OS X * - preferably with contact-pictures supported
- hotswapable memory-card of some sort
- easy on the eyes (...yes, I know: I'm demanding...)
- easy to use (LOVE the SE OS, but Microsoft Mobile is alluring...)
- a nice, big, bright display

So, as you see, not your average user here... So far, the K750i has been great, but it lacks the ability to sync contact pictures to and from the phone (no biggie, but would really be a nice thing to have). The prospect of walking around at home / a hotspot, chatting with people over Skype via my cellphone is just so...desirable? Really would love this, as it would enable me to free myself from the PowerBook when I'm Skyping + hopefully achieve better sound than the mic in the PB? Oh well. So using the 6680 now, and while its nice enough, the OS (Symbian) isn't for me, and the keys are tiny (or my fingers are too big - whichever) and too close together. Also, why can't they (= Nokia) make it so that when a contact calls you (and you've gone through the trouble of adding a photo to said contact), this contact's pictures is displayed NICE AND BIG - not the size of a bulimic stamp??? Honestly. Get your act together. Laughingstock of the household for that one (household firmly and smugly wedged in with their SonyEricssons...).

Oh well - the hunt goes on. The Qtek 9100 / K-Jam looks gorgeous, and my hands-on time with it today held promise. But as long as the good people at Mark/Space can't get it syncing with iSync, I'm going to bide my time...



* (there go all the Windows Mobile 5 smartphones, as Mark/Space haven't managed to crack this issue yet)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home