Monday, May 08, 2006

Gentleman Poet

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


- Robert Frost

Stumbled upon this poem from my past, and was sent tumbling down memory lane. I love the feel and emotion of it. I think it safe to say that it is one of my favourite poems of all time. Robert Frost was a remarkable wordsmith indeed.

Oh - and no baby yet. :-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes we Americans do nail it. :)

9/5/06 04:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love that poem, also Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening". No baby yet?? Argh! the suspence is killing me!
*HUG*

9/5/06 09:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite poem is "Black Marigolds." It's heartbreaking.

I'm including the address to my LJ post where I reproduced the poem. It's long, but beautiful. You owe it to yourself to read it.

12/5/06 06:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home