Wednesday, February 01, 2006

New wheels on the horizon

Ho - what wheels through yonder snowscape burst? Shakespeare aside, the family will soon grow from 2 to three, and in the process, new wheels are in order: the 2-seater will no longer cut it as a family transportation unit.

So. What to buy? Being Scandinavian, we are both quality-conscious, and want something that will protect and secure the family. Of course we're thinking Volvo - more specifically: the excellent Volvo XC90. And here's a nice photo of it.


The girl and I took it out for a test-drive on Sunday...and I was impressed. Having previously had a smack round in a Range Rover, a BMW X3 and a Jeep Wrangler, this is DEFINITELY more bang for your buck, if you'll pardon the analogy. It just feels so...unstoppable? Like a veritable safe on wheels? You sit there smirking, thinking to yourself what fun it might invariably be to sort of push the rest of traffic around, helpless as they would inevitably be to stop you or indeed do anything about it.

Now I'm a tall sort of bloke. And not the most narrow-shouldered either. But this thing...just swallowed me whole?? AMPLE room for me and the missus - and love that the middle rear seat can be pushed forward, so as to make the toddler easily accessible from the front seats. And it comes with a standard air-quality system (ie. AC), but it does more than make hot and cold air: it actively filters polution particles, scent (you know when you clean your windows and you can smell the fluid? Tried it. Didn't smell a single thing. Seriously.) and pollen. Pollen! As I am very allergic to grass-pollen (my doctor says I should spend april through october outside of Northern Europe. I asked her if she'd pay? She said no.), this is beyond cool in my book.

But the downer: it will run us DKK 800.000 - that's 107.206 US dollars. You gotta love the taxes in this country... In Sweden, a mere pebble-toss away, the same car would run us DKK 370.000 (US$ 49.500). Below half price. And in Sweden, that price includes the navigation-system, which will run you DKK 48.000 (US$ 6.400). For the first time ever, I'm actually jealous of the Swedes...

Guess we'll have to see if we can: swing an amazing discount / trade-in / sell my body. Cause I want that car for my new family in the worst way...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home